Image credit: Fortune
Jeff Bezos, founder of Amazon.com, founder of Blue Origin aerospace company and currently the richest man in the world. But what goes on in the mind behind this super human level of success? How does the way he thinks set him apart?
The following 8 quotes from Jeff Bezos himself can shed light into the psyche of his entrepreneurial mind:
1. “Big things start small. The biggest oak starts from an acorn.”
Even the most gigantic of empires start as just a whisper in the mind of one person. Before starting Amazon.com, Bezos was working at a quantitative hedge fund. He left the comfort of a high paying job to start a small online company originally selling books out of his garage. He chose the whisper of dream over the life he was content with. He chose the great over the good. He had a vision.
2. “Do something you’re very passionate about and don’t try to chase what is the hot passion of the day.”
Listen to that passion inside you. Let that be the guiding force. Trends are a flash in the pan, but deep passion is long lasting. Do you remember the craziness about Bitcoin last year? Everyone were a Bitcoin expert and tried to convince you to buy some of it. Now Bitcoin price as drop by 3 from 19k$ to 6k$. Following trends without a great knowledge is a mess.
3. “You can have a job, or you can have a career, or you can have a calling. And the best thing is to have a calling. If you find your passion, you’ll have that and all your work won’t feel like work to you.”
Find that thing that gives you so much energy that you are prepare to hustle until 5 am. Find those things in your life that bring you intensely positive emotion. At the end of your life, you will never regret taking the chance on that one big idea that you had.
4. “The mission and vision of Amazon.com is: ‘Our vision is to be earth’s most customer-centric company; to build a place where people can come to find and discover anything they might want to buy online.”
Jeff Bezos his Amazon empire around that simple principe: be unique and central. When you search a particular thing to buy, you probably start searching on Amazon before switching on Google or eBay. Today, everyone know Amazon and most of people have already buy on it.
5. “I’ve made billions of dollars of failures at Amazon.com. Literally billions… They don’t matter.” “A few big successes compensate for dozens and dozens of things that didn’t work.”
Make mistakes it’s part of the entrepreneur life. You earn or you learn and Jeff Bezos knows that perfectly. You cannot let the failures get the best of you, instead celebrate your successes, let those be your main driving force.
6. “If you absolutely cannot tolerate critics, don’t do anything new or interesting. Then think how wonderful your life will be.”
If you can’t tolerate critics, beeing an entrepreneur or a CEO will be hard because you’ll be in the center of the storm when things go wrong or people hate you. You will be bullying even if it’s not important. Jeff Bezos jokingly remarks about the importance of taking the critical words of others light-heartedly. Whenever you measure yourself by the opinions of others, you make yourself vulnerable because they are not objective in their views. Peoples’ perspectives are based on where they are at, not where you are at. Do what calls you and leave others’ opinions completely aside.
7. “In the end, we are our choices. Build yourself a great story.”
It’s your life, your story. Every choice you make will build you a great story, an unique story. Having a destination mapped out beforehand allows making choices in that direction seamless and logical. The story we narrate in our minds and continually reinforce creates the foundation for every choice we make. Write yourself a good one.
8. “When I’m happy at work I come home more energized. I’m a better husband. A better Dad. And when I’m happy at home I come in a better boss and a better colleague.”
Happiness is a vital piece for improving your relationships at home, vastly enhancing your work life, and increasing your energy overall. Happiness at home will allow you to uplift those loved ones in your life and to fully appreciate them. Happiness creates clarity, patience, flexibility, and vitality. Not to mention, happy people are much more pleasant to be around. The real juice of life is the happiness found along the road to success.
There’s no difference between you and someone that’s super successful other than the way you think. A few small changes today can make gigantic positive shifts in your life. If you can install the same mental framework as someone you admire and want to be like, you will experience the identical results. You’re always your greatest investment, make it count.